Immunology North East is a Regional Group of the British Society for Immunology. We aim to promote discussion and collaboration between all those interested in immunology in the North East of England. Our members are largely based at one of many universities and hospitals of the region.
We organise a monthly seminar programme (term-time) with presentations from national and international invited speakers on all aspects of immunology. These seminars are a fantastic opportunity to hear from and meet many renouned immunologists. Tailored to suit a broad audience, students and staff find them highly informative and educational. Seminars usually begin at 4.00pm in Room 2.21 in the Research Beehive of Newcastle University, with refreshments available from 3.30pm. Members, particularly students, are invited to join the speaker for dinner after the talk.
Our drive to promote interaction and educate immunologists continues with Journal Club. INE Journal Club is a monthly lunchtime event based at Newcastle University but is open to any INE member. Each month researchers analyse and discuss a journal article of their choice, stimulating friendly discussion and the informal development of analytical skills. We are always looking for volunteers to present and would love to hear from anyone who would like to join in.
We keep all our members up to date via a mailbase and advise new members to join the contact list. Join our contact list.
Seminar programme for 2019/20
Unless other stated, seminars usually begin at 4pm in Room 2.21 in the Research Beehive of Newcastle University, with refreshments available from 3.30pm.
- Thursday 26 September 2019
'Harnessing pro-resolving pathways to drive skin repair'
Dr Jenna Cash, University of Edinburgh, UK
Hosted by Steven O’Reilly
Postponed to 30 January 2020
- Wednesday 16 October 2019 - 1pm Dental Lecture Theatre E
‘Dendritic cells and tumor immunity’
Dr Pierre Guermonprez, King’s College London, UK
Hosted by Venetia Bigley
- Thursday 31 October 2019 - 4pm Percy Building G.13
'Micro-invasion of Streptococcus pneumoniae at the human mucosal surface'
Dr Caroline Weight, UCL, UK
Hosted by Andy Mellor/Lei Huang
- Thursday 14 November 2019 - 4pm Baddiley-Clark Seminar Room
‘New insights into complement activation and its therapeutic inhibition’
Dr Christoph Schmidt, Ulm University, Germany
Hosted by Kevin Marchbank
- Thursday 12 December 2019 - 4pm Dental Lecture Theatre F
‘Antibody affinity maturation; mechanisms of clonal selection in germinal centres’
Dr Oliver Bannard, Oxford University, UK
Hosted by Amy Anderson
- Thursday 16 January 2020 - 4pm Baddiley-Clark Seminar Room
‘The Role of Antibody Isotype and Fc Receptor Interactions in Anti-Cancer Therapy’
Prof Steve Beers, University of Southampton, UK
Hosted by Lei Huang/Andy Mellor
- Thursday 13 February 2020 - 4pm Baddiley-Clark Seminar Room
‘Biology of RNA Surveillance in Development and Disease’
Prof Uttiya Basu, Columbia University, New York, USA
Hosted by David Kavanagh
- Wednesday 18 March 2020 - 1pm Dental Lecture Theatre E
‘Uncovering novel aspects of plasma cell biology using in vitro differentiation models’
Dr Gina Doody, Leeds University, UK
Hosted by Venetia Bigley
- Wednesday 22 April 2020 - 4pm Dental Lecture Theatre E
‘Bugs, Drugs & Complement: Exploring New Strategies for Treating Immune and Inflammatory Diseases’
Prof Daniel Ricklin, University of Basel, Switzerland
Hosted by Claire Harris
- Thursday 14 May 2020 - 4pm Baddiley-Clark Seminar Room
‘Understanding the role of T helper cells during asthmatic inflammation'
Dr Chris Tibbitt, Karolinska Institute, Sweden
Hosted by Nicola Maney
Thursday 11 June - Baddiley-Clark Seminar Room
AGM 3–3.40pm, followed by refreshments and seminar at 4pm
‘Chemokine receptors and the orchestration of the inflammatory response‘
Prof Gerry Graham, University of Glasgow, UK
Hosted by Simi Ali
Early July, TBC - Immunology of the North Symposium
Immunology North East run a lively journal club, which meets once a month. The dates for 2018-2019 are below:
- Thursday 21 November 2019
- Thursday 19 December 2019
- Thursday 23 January 2020
- Thursday 27 February 2020
- Thursday 26 March 2020
- Thursday 30 April 2020
- Thursday 21 May 2020
- Thursday 18 June 2020
- Thursday 16 July 2020
Please contact: Karin Engelhardt for further details on venue and the details of which paper is up for discussion on any given date.
- Chair: Amy Anderson (Newcastle)
- Secretary: Kevin Marchbank (Newcastle)
- Treasurer: Andy Knight (Newcastle)
- Journal Club Rep: Karin Engelhardt (Newcastle)
- Communications: Ben Millar (Newcastle)
- Newcastle rep: Nicola Maney (Newcastle)
- Northumbria Rep: Steven O'Reilly (Northumbria)
- Durham Rep: Adam Benham (Durham)
- Sunderland Rep: Graeme O’Boyle (Sunderland)
- Student Rep: Gemma Vidal-Pedrola (Newcastle)
- Student Rep: Nathan Simpson (Newcastle)
The BSI and the BSI's North East Immunology Group would like to thank Miltenyi Biotec, whose continuous support of the BSI Regional and Affinity Groups enables us to undertake our work.