The British Society for Immunology's Lymphocyte Immunosenescence and Differentiation Group is pleased to bring you 'Multi-cellular differentiation-related changes in the immune system during ageing' taking place on 27-28 September 2018 at the Academy of Medical Sciences in London.
Both innate and adaptive immunity change during ageing which leads to increased susceptibility to infection and malignancy and a decreased response to vaccination. At the same time altered immune homeostasis may lead to low-grade inflammation and chronic inflammatory conditions. This meeting will highlight changes in leukocyte types during differentiation and/or ageing, how they are integrated, and the impact of intrinsic (cellular-molecular) and extrinsic (physiological/ environmental) factors on immune alterations. We will also discuss strategies for intervention to boost immunity in older adults using evidence from animal and human models.
This meeting will bring together world leaders in cell differentiation and immunosenescence, including eight invited speakers:
- Prof Cornelia Weyand, Stanford University, USA
- Dr Daniela Frasca, University of Miami, USA
- Dr Valery Krizhanovsky, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Dr Anis Larbi, A* Institute Singapore
- Prof Mieke Boots, University of Groningen, Netherlands
- Prof Janet Lord, University of Birmingham, UK
- Prof Arne Akbar, University College London, UK
- Dr Sian Henson, Queen Mary's University of London, UK
There is also the opportunity for eight researchers to present their work chosen from submitted abstracts. Time will be prioritised for interaction and discussion between junior and senior immunologists to facilitate future collaboration aimed at harnessing divergent expertise to study immune cell differentiation and ageing in the UK.
Registration and abstract submission to this meeting will open shortly.