In light of the current SARS-CoV-2 virus outbreak, the British Society for Immunology has decided to pause this grant scheme. We will not be accepting any new applications until such a time when travel restrictions are lifted. This scheme is an important part of our work to support immunologists to build their networks and showcase their work; however, after carefully reviewing the situation, we feel that pausing this grant scheme is is the responsible option at this time. We encourage researchers to use this time to connect virtually if possible and we are currently looking into options for how we can facilitate this - keep an eye on our news pages over the coming weeks for more information.
For members who have recently been awarded a BSI Travel Award - we have been carefully monitoring developments related to COVID-19 and we know that many scientific conferences worldwide have been cancelled or postponed. We understand these are situations outside of your control and we want to do our best to support you.
- If your conference is cancelled – please contact the BSI office to let us know and we will work with you on an individual basis to decide on the best course of action.
- If your conference is postponed to a later date – please contact the BSI office to let us know. We are happy for you to transfer your grant to still attend the conference when it is held. Please keep us informed of any changes.
- If your conference is cancelled and the organisers automatically transfer your registration to their 2021 conference – if you would like to attend the 2021 conference, we are happy for you to use your travel grant to fund your attendance to this – please let our office know this is what you plan to do. If you don’t want to attend their 2021 conference, please contact our office to discuss how to proceed.
In all eventualities, we ask that you keep our office informed of developments and we will do our best to help you. Please do get in touch with our Membership Manager, Sarah Green, if you have any queries.
As part of its role as a charitable organisation, the BSI will support the travel costs for members who wish to attend meetings and congresses, both domestic and international; or, for example, those who wish to visit laboratories for specific short-term activities, such as collaborative research, or in order to learn new techniques. This is subject to them meeting the assessment criteria for these awards.
Applications are considered 4 times a year, the deadlines for which are:
|Deadline Date||Deadline Time|
Please note that travel must be completed within 1 Year of award date
Please note the outcome of applications will be sent via email to all applicants three to four weeks after the application deadline of the round that has been applied for
Maximum awards are currently as follows: £500 for travel within the UK; £700 for European travel and £1,000 for rest of the World.
These rates are based for UK applicants, if you are an overseas applicant the rates will be applied according to your place of residence for example £500 if traveling within home country. Please contact us if you have any queries.
To be eligible to apply:
- Applicants need to have been a member of the society for at least twelve months prior to the deadline on the closing date of the travel award round applied to
- All applicants must to be in good standing with their annual subscriptions when applying and receiving travel awards
- Applicants must not have received one of the following Society Travel Awards/Bursaries in the 12 months before the closing date of the round applied to: BSI Travel Award, BSI Congress Bursary, ECI Bursary and IUIS
- Incomplete applications will be rejected
How to apply
Email a completed application form to Sarah Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants need to provide an abstract that has been submitted to the conference to demonstrate active participation. In the case of funding for a visit a full itinerary should be given
- All Applications must be countersigned by the Head of Department/Supervisor or for students their immediate superior who in doing this is granting permission for the proposed activity
- A letter of support from the Head of Department/Supervisor is essential
- It should be noted that awards made under this scheme are not intended to cover the full cost of the proposed activity. Applicants are encouraged to obtain additional funding from elsewhere
- You will be required to acknowledge the Society for their financial support on your poster and or oral presentation as well as well as displaying the Society’s logo. Please email Sarah Green at email@example.com for this
- Successful recipients are required to submit the following within one month after the meeting:
- A meeting report and or photos if possible on activities carried out with the support of the awards which can be used for our newsletter feature or on our website. This should be submitted to Sarah Green at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Receipts for Travel, Event Registration, Accommodation etc.. up to award received
Please note that failure to comply with the terms and conditions may result in the Society to asking for monies awarded to be refunded and/or future applications denied
- The BSI Travel Awards Panel meets four times a year..
- The assessment of applications employs a points system weighting decisions primarily on a number of factors including the scientific merit of the application, and career stage of applicant.
- Further information about how travel awards applications are assessed please go here.
Although the BSI endeavours to ensure that travel awards are awarded to as many applicants as possible, there will be occasions where applications are unsuccessful.
Travel Award forms may be obtained from the BSI or can be downloaded here as a PDF or Word doc.
Please make sure you use the latest version of the travel awards application form, as it is subject to periodic updates.