This scheme is intended both to promote excellence in the study of immunology at undergraduate level, and to encourage outstanding students to pursue further postgraduate study, or a career in immunology.
Each prize winner will be awarded a certificate, £100, and one year's free membership of the British Society for Immunology.
How to apply
Applications for inclusion in the BSI Immunology Undergraduate Prize scheme must be made, in the first instance, by the proposing University or Institute. Once the application has been accepted the universities or institutions will be entitled to the award for the current award year (ie. April 2024 – July 2024). Applications and nominations for prize-winning students are to be made on a yearly basis by the participating university or institution.
For more details regarding the application process, please note the following:
- Prizes will be available annually to named students registered on undergraduate BSc programmes at UK universities and institutes that incorporate immunology as a major component of the course.
- Each university or institute is allowed to register three courses for the prize, and one prize per course will be awarded.
Applications for inclusion in the programme must be made initially by the university or institute, in which you should indicate how they will allocate the prize in accordance with the aims stated above.
Examples of appropriate criteria might include:
- Best overall performance in penultimate or final-year exams
- Best performance in an immunology module or course
- Best research project on an immunological topic
It is expected that the winning student will have attained at least an upper second-class overall mark for the stage at which the award is made.
- Applications should come from degree programme directors or chairs of boards of examiners. If the main applicant is not a member of the BSI, the application must be supported by a course teacher who is a member of the BSI.
- The deadline for applications from universities and institutes will be announced at start of 2024.
- The deadline for applications from Universities and Institutions should be made no later than 29 April 2024.
- Universities and Institutions will be notified by Mid May whether their application has been successful. Successful Universities or Institutions will be entitled to the award for the current award year (ie. April 2024 - July 2024).
- Nominations from successful Universities and Institutions should be submitted each year by completing Form B, and submitting it to the BSI for approval no later than 15 July 2024.
- The deadline for submitting Form A is 29 April 2024.
- The deadline for submitting Form B is 15 July 2024.