Here's our selection of the top immunology stories in the news from 12-16 December.
A study from BSI member, Dr Neil Mabbott at the University of Edinburgh. Image (right) from this paper shows infectious prion proteins use specialized cells (labelled green) to cross the lining of the gut and establish infection before spreading.
- Saliva test could offer new way to check immunity - EurekAlert
- Researchers add to evidence that common bacterial cause of gum disease may drive rheumatoid arthritis - EurekAlert
- White blood cell treatment could prevent leading cause of fetal death - EurekAlert
- Bacterial 'sabotage' handicaps ability to resolve devastating lung inflammation - EurekAlert
- Immunotherapy drug gives non-small-cell lung cancer patients extra 4 months of life - EurekAlert
- How HIV's evasion tactics could help fight the flu - The Conversation
- Searching for a vaccine for the plague - Newsweek
- New research shows how bacteria in undercooked chicken causes Guillain-Barre syndrome - EurekAlert