This 4-year position is one several available within the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation-funded Pirbright Livestock Antibody Hub. This hub will exploit the recent advances in our understanding of B-cell responses to better understand the protective immune response in livestock and poultry. It will address the needs of the research community and bridge the requirements of the vaccine industry. Overall the hub will support rational vaccinology approaches, antibody-based treatment and prophylaxis as well as increasing the applicability of animals as models for human disease and treatment.
This position will focus on flow cytometry to isolate single antigen-specific B cells by FACS in ruminants, poultry and pig and link to a high-throughput sequencing work program to sequence antigen-specific immunoglobulin genes from single isolated cells.
Responsible for single B-cell isolation by flow cytometry, which will include:
- Coupling antibodies and antigens to fluorochromes
- Analysis of B-cell subsets by flow cytometry using panels of antibody/fluorochromes
- Adapt the panels to several species
- Optimise antigen staining and antigen-specific B-cell characterisation by flow-cytometry
- Sort antigen-specific single-B cell by FACS and other technologies
Responsible for sample preparation for next generation sequencing, which will include:
- Amplification of the heavy and light chains of the immunoglobulins by PCR in several species
- Preparation of sequencing libraries for single B cell sequencing, RNA-seq and whole genome sequencing as required, in addition to using an automated laboratory robotics system for library preparation
- Interacting with Illumina sequencers – including loading/unloading runs and equipment maintenance
- Quality control of sample libraries prior to library preparation and sequencin
Responsible for working as part of an established team, which will include
Contribute to the overall research group