Role title: Groups & Meetings Secretary
Accountable to: BSI Board
Responsible for: BSI Regional & Affinity Groups
Scope and purpose
The overall role of the Groups & Meetings Secretary is to play a key role in the strategic development of the BSI’s regional & affinity groups and travel awards schemes
The Groups & Meetings Secretary will work closely with the Board, BSI staff and the Chief Executive to develop the Regional & Affinity Groups network and programme of meetings. He/she will coordinate the review of meeting applications and bids for funds, working closely with the BSI team, and will review applications for travel awards and other bursaries as required.
Duties of the Groups and Meetings Secretary
- Liaising with the membership to further develop the groups network and activities
- Reviewing and approving applications for one-off meetings from regional and affinity groups.
- Reviewing the group annual reports.
- Overseeing the annual bid for funds in liaison with the Finance & Business Manager.
- Reviewing applications for BSI travel awards as chair of the travel award panel of experts.
- Review applications for BSI congress bursaries as chair of a panel of experts.
- Review applications for any other travel awards / bursaries (EFIS, IUIS) as part of a panel of experts.
- To chair the Groups & Meetings Committee in an effective and efficient manner.
- To chair specialist sub-groups where needed in specific areas.
- To attend the AGM and one Board meeting a year.
Groups and Meetings Secretary Person Specification
- The appointee must be a full member of the BSI.
- First-hand experience of regional and affinity group matters.
- Awareness of the breadth of interests of the membership.
- Skills to analyse meetings proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Willingness to be available to staff at short notice and on an ad-hoc basis.
- He/she must be willing to contribute to the BSI’s strategic vision.
- High levels of credibility and respect in immunological communities.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and external partners.
- Willingness to lead on the generation of ideas and their development, with support from BSI staff.